Written by authors who have an extensive track record teaching the Introduction to Business course, the twelfth edition of this best-selling text features an up-to-date, comprehensive survey of the functional areas of business: management and organization, human resource management, marketing, information systems and accounting, and finance and investment. Core topics highlighted within these areas include ethics and social responsibility, small business concerns and entrepreneurship, and global issues. New coverage in this edition closely examines cutting-edge topics like the impact of social media on business, the economic crisis, green and socially responsible business, and sustainability. In addition to updating and revitalizing the content, the entire supplemental package has been revised so it is the most accessible and instructor and student friendly in the market. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Completely new, in-depth coverage of social media has been included within the chapter on e-business.
- Accounting coverage has been streamlined for the introductory business student and covered together with the topic of management information systems.
- Each chapter has been thoroughly updated to provide the most recent data and examples. New topics include the current status of the economic crisis, new information about the national debt, the latest news in social media, the flourishing app world, competing in the global environment today, the latest productivity trends and lean manufacturing, and new coverage of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, among many others.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Each chapter now includes a social media exercise within the "Building Skills for Career Success" section.
- Two new Personal Apps features within each chapter provide student-centered examples to illustrate main text concepts.
- All "Inside Business" cases are new to this edition and introduce the theme of each chapter by focusing on real-world companies such as Zynga, Chobani, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Umpqua Bank, and Linked In.
- All boxed features are new but continue to emphasize the theme of success: Going for Success, Career Success. Entrepreneurial Success, and Ethical Success or Failure?
- New end-of-chapter cases and video cases cover well-known companies and contemporary situations.
Table of Contents
Part 1: The Environment of Business
Chapter 1: Exploring the World of Business and Economics
Chapter 2: Being Ethical and Socially Responsible
Chapter 3: Exploring Global Business
Part 2: Business Ownership and Entrepreneurship
Chapter 4: Choosing a Form of Business Ownership
Chapter 5: Small Business, Entrepreneurship, and Franchises
Part 3: Management and Organization
Chapter 6: Understanding the Management Process
Chapter 7: Creating a Flexible Organization
Chapter 8: Producing Quality Goods and Services
Part 4: Human Resources
Chapter 9: Attracting and Retaining the Best Employees
Chapter 10: Motivating and Satisfying Employees and Teams
Chapter 11: Enhancing Union–Management Relations
Part 5: Marketing
Chapter 12: Building Customer Relationships Through Effective Marketing
Chapter 13: Creating and Pricing Products That Satisfy Customers
Chapter 14: Wholesaling, Retailing, and Physical Distribution
Chapter 15: Developing Integrated Marketing Communications
Part 6: Social Media, e-Business, and Accounting
Chapter 16: Exploring Social Media and e-Business
Chapter 17: Using Management and Accounting Information
Part 7: Finance and Investment
Chapter 18: Understanding Money, Banking, and Credit
Chapter 19: Mastering Financial Management
Chapter 20: Understanding Personal Finances and Investments